9.22.2008

Back from Deutschland, Back in Action!

Okay, so a lot has gone on since my last update here (sorry to all the loyal readers), and I'll be updating on a lot of things in the coming days/weeks/months.


(photo of me by Ismael Roldan, looking down the hill from the hosting hotel)

First thing: I just returned back from the Sebastian Krüger portrait painting workshop in Hanover, Germany. This is Krüger's fourth annual workshop, and there were 20 artists in attendance.


(Sebastian and Jeff Redford: a little too buddy-buddy?)


(Hanover Museum)

During this trip we took a tour around Hanover, learned (perhaps too much) about paint brush manufacturing details, saw Sebastian paint an entire finished (very large) piece, and had the chance to work on our own pieces, with plenty of tips and feedback from the master.


(Stefan, otherwise known as "German Joe Bluhm")

In attendance were artists from Brazil, Korea, Holland, Germany, United States, and Canada! These great new friends are from all over the spectrum - some in their '60s and some in their '20s, some professionals working in movies, some not artists at all (one dentist!), but each were more kind, talented and wonderful than you could ask.



("JerT" - Jeremy Townsend being all "Euro-cool")

This workshop is very reminiscent, in a couple ways, of the annual convention held by the National Caricaturist Network (NCN). Not that we were focusing on caricature, but there was plenty of inspiration, artwork, partying and building friendships. I highly recommend both this workshop (see Sebastian's blog for 2009 workshop announcements) and the NCN convention, held this year from November 2-7 in Raleigh, NC.


(click for larger version)

Here is one of the two finished paintings I worked on in the 3 days we had to paint (sorry for the bad photo- it's in the mail, on its way home). I feel quite invigorated and prepared to continue painting very regularly. Keep an eye out here for traditional paintings on canvas, from time to time (as well as some gallery shows next year).



As for my current work, I'll be finishing an illustration, publishing two art books and working on a third through Art Squared Publishing, traveling to the NCN convention, starting some new paintings, and possibly traveling down south in late October to do a few days drawing theme park caricatures (more to come on that topic).

By the way, Germany is FULL of windmills! Rockin' place.
.

18 comments:

Marion said...

Oh boy, I envy you!!
Where did you see these windmills ?????

Craig Zablo said...

Welcome back. We missed ya.

It's too cool that you were at Kruger's workshop. Who doesn't love his work. I hope that he was a nice as he is talented.

Can't wait to see what you have coming art wise.

Lash LeRoux said...

Wow, Joe, I'm sure you had a blast! I did a 10 day wrestling tour in Hanover a couple of years ago, and I can attest to its beauty.
I'm SO jealous of you -- I would LOVE to make one of Krueger's workshops. If nothing else, I'm sure you've come home insanely inspired and eager to get back to work!

hutch said...

Good to see you back Joe. Looking forward to seeing your new work.

Tim Bye said...

Hey Joe the painting looks great! Really top stuff!!!

Márcio Rocha said...

Joe
Very good to able see news abouth you. I always see your blog to find news pictures. You are very good. Amasing. A hug.
Márcio Rocha - Brazil

Marco Bucci said...

friggin' awesome man! Can't wait to see some more trad stuff!

Ken Knafou said...

Yeah I wanna give you a hug too.

Attractive Art Community (Big Sam) said...

Good to have ya back man! I would love to paint with Krugar! Maybe now that you're back you can do my caricature! keep growin man! your doin great!

Niall O loughlin said...

Looks like you had a great time, It's an amazing experience isn't it. I'm raging I couldn't go this year, can't wait to see more photo's. Who did paint this year?

Neil Davies said...

Wow, I'd love to go to a Kruger workshop, but I'd be terrified! Love the Reservoir Dogs painting, can't wait to see more of it!

Nelson Santos said...

Kruger workshop is great did he had a video presentation in the evening nigh? Hope it wansnt a fairy tale legend...

Faboun'e said...

Oh !!! That's a dream for me to do that one day ... (when I'll be able to ...)..

That's a great thing to paint whit Kruger Himself.. (for me : THE boss)
Great thing for you too I think ..

m3ng said...

If you come down to Florida Theme parks, I hope you can spare some time to hang out with your adoring fans! I told Pat to talk to you about it...

Vincenzo said...

I had stopped by Sebastian's blog and noticed the group photo a few days ago...this is one of the many reasons I respect you brother...as good as you are you're always looking to improve your skills!!!

Always looking forward to seeing new stuff from you!

Matt Ryder said...

Haha, that photo of Sebasian and Jeff is hillarious ! What an experience that must have been for you, looking forward to seeing your acrylics...

Will Appledorn said...

great painting joe, very krugerish.

what an experience, sounds like a blast. looking forward to seeing new art from you.

Achde said...

extraordinaire travail. l'ensemble de votre blog est remarquable. Votre technique est sans faille et votre travail sur la cintiq est impressionnant. Magnifique !