10.16.2007

Live Caricatures

Here are some of the sketches completed in San Francisco at a wonderful little wedding reception. I had been invited to draw live caricatures in the west coast city after the groom-to-be got a hold of my first book. I was specifically asked to take a little more time on the drawings and to "not hold back" on the exaggeration. Needless to say, I made a couple subjects angry, but most guests had a great time and loved the art. I had a great time.

These are lightly sketched in pencil, inked with a Copic Brush Pen marker, then toned with PRISMACOLOR markers (30% gray, 60% gray).








detail



14 comments:

Faboun'e said...

GRRRREAT ! So fun ! I just started trying to make live caricatures .. It's doesn't impress like I was afraid to ; and you were right: it's so fun too... Thanks to show all your creations..!
And sorry about my bad English

Char Reed said...

I guess the groom should have warned his guests that you weren't going to hold back :) Loved the drawings, always makes me laugh.

【#pan】 said...

I VERY LIKE YOUR LIVE CARICATURE.
YES...I LIKE.
:)

Tim Bye said...

Joe these are just tremendous!

Mark Behm said...

These are amazing, as usual. How long do you spend just looking, thinking about what you're going to do? What you're going to push where. Or have you been doing it so long it's just instinctual?

Seo Kim said...

Hilarious!! I love how you did the eyes on the braces girl.

Craig Zablo said...

Amazing [as always work. Thanks for sharing it!

John Beatty said...

Wonderful work, Joe!

-JBeatty

Nelson Santos said...

oh man been a while since i dont use Copics for linework. Never tried those prismacolor ones do they last long and are refilable?

Anonymous said...

Wait a second, wasn't that girl in the second to last pic in one of your youtube videos? How funny. Wow, you really nailed that caricature of the first kid.

Mark M. said...

In your party sketches. What do you use? Copics? What about your Grey Values? Do Pre-sketch on the same paper as the drawing? or is it like your in park drawing underneath? or Do you pre sketch at all since party sketches are supposed to done quickly?

Sean (53AN) Gardner said...

Truly Inspiring man, Great job,.....I'm looking forward to a day to work with you man,

Anonymous said...

Joe.... Great job. My son is the first one in your section from the wedding. We had a blast and you are amazing.

Anonymous said...

Your caricatures made my day!
Too funny for words... (great work!)