10.15.2007

San Fran to New York

Well, I never thought I'd be that guy doing an assignment in the bookstore, in a different city, in the hotel room at night, or on the plane on the way home (on the day of delivery!), but sure enough I am now among those rushed, over-eager illustrators who takes on a tight schedule even when booked. Danielle (my girlfriend) says I need to set a more comfortable (padded) schedule, but sometimes things falls through for an art director and they need 17 illustrations in 5 days (no kidding)... someone has to come through for them:


(click image for a larger view)

This is for a local city paper in Santa Barbara, California. I was stuck in Borders Bookstore for about 4 hours while my friends traveled San Francisco and had fun. I sat there, buying and re-buying coffees (out of guilt, for occupying the space for so long) while I rapidly sketched from my laptop.


I ended up condensing my schedule so much last night, that I missed my red-eye flight back and had to get up at 5:00 am today to catch the first flight out.

San Francisco was great (from what I saw of it) and I had some good times with friends.

I'll post photos of drawings from the event I attended, tomorrow. I had fun and tried some grayscale shading with PRISMACOLOR markers. It was fun!

7 comments:

Jeremy Townsend (JERT) said...

nice work under pressure man

SEILER said...

These are great Joe, and btw, welcome to the pack!

Vincenzo said...

Beautiful pencils!!!!!!

Tim Bye said...

Just super!

Anonymous said...

this is a shot in the dark, but is that ball player, ryan spillborghs?

Joe Bluhm said...

Awaldron- Yes! You got it.

Nathan Lindsay said...

these are slick Joe. Maybe you could do a podcast of a just pencil drawing? I love how you cross-hatch these things.