10.11.2007

Working on the Road

Well, not really... I hope...

I'm drawing like crazy today, trying to get a few commissions finished for a West Coast city paper. This is a job I've done for two years now, and it's one of my favorites. I get to (yeah, get jealous...) draw caricatures in pencil, down to the collar, of people I've never seen. What a gig! Here's a little preview of one of the drawings:



Speaking of West Coast, I'll be visiting San Francisco for the first time. I leave tomorrow morning (Friday) and come back early Monday morning. I have an event to draw at, but it's a great chance to see a new city. I have some friends and old college classmates that live there, so it will be nice to see "their" city.



This is my last travel trip for the year (I think...), and it will be nice to spend more time in the studio.

Check back in for more paintings, illustrations, both of people and ANIMALS. I'm really inspired by some of my favorite artists and have been focusing more on animal art, animal caricatures, cartooning, design, and other aspects of mammals. I love the idea of "creature" art based on real designs from nature.

7 comments:

Tim Bye said...

As always Joe I'm inspired! I really love your pencil work! All the best!

Keelan Parham said...

Animals? Can't wait to see some of your sketches. Always loved those dogs and stuff in your sketchbooks.

San Fran is awesome. You'll have a great time (that's where I was during the NCN con this year). If you can talk your buds into it, drive up to Napa or Sonoma. The wines are amazing!

dan pinto said...

Joe,
You don't know me but, I'm a fan of your work. I found your site in a happy accident. After looking through this blog and your video blog, I decided to do a week of caricatures over at my sketchblog. I love your drawings. Keep up the good work.
-Dan

Marion said...

Next time we meet we draw together, OK?
Have fun in SF, l was there before Reno and really loved it.
Tip: rent a bike and ride to Sausalito.....

Process Junkie said...

San Francisco is one of my favorite cities, have a good time,my friend!

Fabian Molina said...

Im glad to hear the convention was awesome this year. I wish i could have gone. Also iwish I knew you were coming to the city. I work here at the acedemy of art University in SF. Anyhoo - cheers!

Fabian Molina said...

Im glade to hear the cone was awesome this year. Wish I could have attended. Also wish i knew you were coming to the city. I actually work here at the academy of art University in SF. anyhoo - cheers man!