12.20.2006

Brown Paper Bagsies

These aren't done on Brown paper bags (deceptive subject), but on recycled brown sketchbook paper (kraft paper by Cachet) - I love that as a starting ground, as it doesn't yet hold the darks or lights, so you have a bit more control on volume, in stages.

These are just a couple 'pass-the-time' sketches between projects.. sort of like a coffee-break for office workers. It feels good. Anyway, they are of a couple guys from NEWSWEEK magazine of whom I tried to enjoy shape and exaggeration without thinking of likeness too much - sort of hard to do, but really a great release.

No names easily found. Ballpoint pen w/ acrylic paint.

5 comments:

Piotr said...

fantastic job joe! these are cool, i gotta try the paper bags....

patrick mate said...

hello Joe great work like usual.I have been using the same technic recently and i like it too ,for the the same reason.The face maker post crack me up .Thanks for sharing.

SEILER said...

These are cool Joe, I'll have to give that a go, looks like a fun way to do sketches, thanks for the inspiration!

Unknown said...

reminds me of when i was little tyke- and all i had was paper bags to draw VOLTRON on!!!! pretty freakn cooolio! WHERES MY BOOK HOE!!!!

Jessica Joy said...

I really enjoy this mini departure from your "work" art. I have a weak spot for mixed media. Es muy interesante!